9/17/2008

The Brighter Side

This week has been a lot better around here. I am trying to do more
"normal" things.
trying to get into a little routine around here and out of that postpartum funk that can take over and go on and on. One of the things that has helped in this area is cooking. I have cooked every night this week so far! Woo! Hoo! I have always enjoyed cooking and it feels good to be making dinner for my family again. Eight weeks of bedrest followed by ten weeks of adjusting to a newborn can put a damper on even the most devoted cook...but I am going to try to keep this going...we are so sick of take out, prepared meals from friends and family (although very appreciative) and quick meals like hot dogs, frozen pizza, spaghetti, etc. Although, I have to say, having a baby in the summer months does have perks...like grilling...we have had LOTS of grilled chicken which was an easy and healthy option for us!

Another thing I have done to try to feel "normal" again is getting dressed (in actual clothes that do not resemble pajamas) before noon. What I had been doing is waiting until both boys were napping at the same time (which on some days is never) or just staying in frumpy sweats or whatever I managed to pull out of the drawer before attending to the early morning chaos. I have also made an effort to put some make-up on and have found some clothes in my closet that fit from my transitional time after Seth...I cannot stand to be in maternity clothes any longer! So, while you would never mistake me for glamour mom Katie Holmes, I've definitely spruced it up a notch --which has done wonders for the self esteem. Go me!

Also, Caleb is out of the bassinet that we kept in our bed and is successfully sleeping in the pak-n-play now. My good friend Ruth Anna indirectly advised swaddling when talking about her own kids and we have found that helps significantly with Caleb staying asleep after he is put down. I hadn't tried it because it was so hot all summer but now that it's cooler....it's doing the trick. He is still fussing in the evening hours...but we are coping...and Scott and I are being more intentional about working together as a team when things start to feel out of control. Also, I had (as Oprah would say) a "light bulb" moment when the realization hit that Caleb does not have colic! After going through colic with Seth, our challenges with Caleb seem pretty minor in comparison.So even though he may have a fussy time each day, and have some digestive issues (who knew that poop could cause so many of our parenting woes), and he isn't the greatest sleeper...okay, he's actually an awful sleeper...things really aren't that bad....when I force myself to remember the good ol' days with Seth.

Here are some other reasons why this week is going better than last week:

1. The weather is fantastic...goodbye rain...hello sunshine!

2. Scott is not working long hours to meet a demanding deadline like last week.

3. We were able to watch two movies from Netflix after months of paying our bill and not having the time to actually watch any movies .

4. I've eaten lots of chocolate and still lost a pound...thank you breastfeeding!

5. My dear friend Shannon came by with her two adorable girls for a visit and brought me a scrumptious caramel latte...and is letting me try out her One Step Ahead double stroller all week so we can decide if we want one or not (if anyone has any recommendations for a good double stroller please let me know...I am realizing that a good stroller is my lifeline to the outside world).

6. I am caught up on laundry. And by caught up I mean it's washed, dried, folded, and put away...it's the putting away that always slows me down.

7. Seth is being a good boy even, though he is teething, and has started eating avocados again...which is great because he's barely touching anything else .

8. I have started adding dairy back into my diet and Caleb seems to be doing fine.

9. Because of reason #8 we have gone to our favorite ice cream stop twice before it closes for the winter...I had to make up for not being able to have ice cream all summer.















10. We brought the kids on an outing to Petco and watching Seth was the cutest thing ever...he is really into fish and birds and loved the kitties.

Last week hormones=bad
This week hormones=good


*I am still trying to figure out blogger with very limited time so sorry if the spacing and pictures are a little goofy...I am learning!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Yay for Rachel! Im so glad things are getting better... little by little my friend. Love you!

Evergreen Covenant Admin said...

Hi Rachel,
Before you buy a double stroller, call me. Keith and I have a "sit and step" that just attaches to our single stroller. I don't think we will use it anymore, except maybe on vacations (?), so I'd love for you to borrow it. We loved it.