2/16/2010
Teething Woes
Caleb is cutting 4 teeth right now. They are eye teeth and they are taking their sweet old time making an appearance. The week we got home from our trip the boys had a checkup in which Dr. Schuler noted Caleb's eye teeth starting to come through. THAT WAS THREE WEEKS AGO!!! Which isn't a big deal, really, except for the fact that 3 to 4 times a week Caleb is waking up around 2 or 3 a.m. and staying up until 6 or 7. He then falls back asleep until 8:00 and is up for the day. Last night he woke up at 2:30....and never went back to sleep! Don't ask me how a one year old can even function the following day after gettting such a poor's night rest but he was up and playing most of the day and didn't get a great nap either. He's not happy, of course, but he's plugging through on five hours of sleep a night and I'm a little concerned that this pattern may turn into a habit if he doesn't get back on track soon. It is going on 11:00 p.m. as I type this and he is just falling asleep now. I know teething affects his sleep patterns and I can grit my teeth (no pun intended) and bear it....usually. But when will this end? I am not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm kind of feeling depressed about it. The sleep deprivation is starting to get to me and I'm feeling run down. I know when this is over it'll be over and life will go on, but right now, it is still very much happening and I need to know how to cope with limited sleep and a crabby toddler who is in pain and irritable most of the day. On top of it all, he now has a cold. Could be so much worse in the whole scheme of things...but waah! waah! waah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Rach, I'm sorry he isn't sleeping and then you aren't sleeping either. Hopefully it's just a phase and soon he and you will be back to your beauty rest.
It was great talking to you last night! Love you!
Oh Rachel, that stinks! I'm sorry he is not feeling well on top of new teeth. I hope you both get some sleep soon.
Um, i don't know much, and I agree with the comments that this stinks, but, do drugs help? Like a benadryl or something to aid his sleep? Idk...just where my mind goes!
Gracie...yup, good idea with the benadryl. We almost gave him some last night but didn't have the dosage (as you're not supposed to give it to kids under 2 unless advised by a doctor). I called the nurse today and she gave me the dose...so hopefully tonight we will all sleep! Unless he's one of those kids who have an adverse reaction and it makes him more hyper. Wouldn't that be such a kick in the butt? Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
Post a Comment