8/26/2011

Library

I have been bringing the boys to the library regularly now and we have discovered some great books. I'd like to keep a record here of what the boys are enjoying to help me remember for future gifts and for their own benefit. I know I've gone back and purchased some of my childhood favorites and re-reading them brought back some really great memories.

Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
*How have I not discovered these books until now? They are WONDERFUL and the illustrations perfect. My boys love these two (along with Goodnight Moon which we own). The Runaway Bunny had me in tears by the end and I loved how Seth understood the concept of the book...which is the depth of a mother's love.

Little White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes Great for teaching about imagination. I had the boys close their eyes and imagine before turning to the next page.

Where is the Green Sheep by Mem Fox
Time for Bed by Mem Fox
*Okay, who is Mem Fox and why had I never heard of her? The library has a whole shelf devoted to her and all her books are fabulous.

We're Going on a Lion Hunt by Margery Cuyler. This was a bigger hit than the more recent We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

Ten Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle.
*We get books by Eric Carle all the time but this one was read over and over again. We also own the "Bear" books by Eric Carle (Brown Bear Brown Bear, Panda Bear, Polar Bear, Baby Bear) and they are literally falling apart we have read them so much. Brown Bear Brown Bear helped my kids learn their colors when they were just wee little ones. We adore Eric Carle...he is simply brilliant.
Also, Eric Carle's Have you Seen my Cat? What can I say...very much enjoyed.

The Mitten by Jim Aylesworth For some reason they liked this adaptation better than the well-loved original by Jan Brett. My kids were reciting the words all winter as it's very repetitive and I love that the boys will often chant "Brrrr....my feet are cold as ice! Your mitten looks so cozy and warm toes would feel so nice...let me come in!" when they want to climb into bed with me.

The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper. We ended up buying this one for Caleb. He just loved it so much!

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon...a fave for Seth...C is still quite young for this book.

The Velveteen Rabbit is another one Seth enjoys...it is quite long for his age but he can listen to the whole thing in one sitting.

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss had the boys laughing and learning how to rhyme. We own a bunch of Dr. Seuss. They are a hit if you don't get ones too advanced.

I must add that Caleb really enjoys the Sandra Boynton books. Seeing Caleb "get" the joke in Blue Hat Green Hat was so fun! He let out a sincere chuckle every time I said OOPS!!! And in a couple of days he could read it himself. I only wished we had introduced her books earlier as he probably would've enjoyed them around 18 months or so. All of her books are funny...on a kids' level so the children get the humor and they are simple and easy board books with great illustrations.

On the Night You Were Born and It's Time to Sleep, My Love by Nancy Tillman are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. My Dad and Val got these books for the boys right after they were born so they are their special books that we keep on a special shelf. YOU WILL CRY WHEN YOU READ THEM TO YOUR CHILD. Her new one titled Wherever You Are....ahem...I had to hold it together in the bookstore. It's currently on my "to buy" list.

Calm Down Time by Elizabeth Verdick. Teaches great coping skills to toddlers and parents on how to avoid the feared and dreaded TEMPER TANTRUMS.....we own this one. Nuff said.

First 100 Animals. Most boring book ever for adults but we are on our second copy since the first one fell apart. Boys love it.

So, that's it for now but I may do this regularly as I love Children's Literature!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Rach! What a great list of Children's lit!! I love to read and i am so hoping E is a big reader. We already have started reading very simple books to him, but I love getting suggestions for when he is older. I'll print off this list and use it for christmas and birthday presents!

Laurie said...

Rachel, You are woman after my own heart. I loved taking the kids to library. We spent many happy hours there. Enjoy! ~ Laurie

Stephanie Faris said...

I do too! I've been reading younger to prepare to write for a potentially younger audience. The Junie B. Jones series is blowing me away. The author's ability to capture the voice of a 5-year-old...WOW! I think when you have young children, it gives you the chance to discover some great talent that you wouldn't read otherwise!